Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Adventures in New York

Well, I'm leaving tomorrow evening for Spain. It's super surreal. But since I've said adieu to all of you (except my mom) I decided to go ahead and start my blog. My first day away from the safety and comfort of Chattanooga has definitely been a full one.
It started at 6:45 AM when I woke up before my alarm and couldn't go back to sleep. I sat with my dad in the living room and watched the "Best of the Best Barbeque", strange at 7 in the morning I know, and waited for it to be time to leave. Finally, at around 9:00 we headed for the airport. My mom and I were supposed to be flying from Chattanooga to New York via Atlanta and our flight was to leave at 10:35. We got to the airport and were informed that we were too late to check in for our flight which apparently now left at 10:00 AM instead of 10:35. After some rushed phone conversations and many angry words from my father, I hugged him quickly told him I'd call him and my mom and I rushed to our gate. Only to find that they had only just begun boarding and we had plenty of time. After a quick reprint of my boarding pass we were on the plane. Here we go I thought. As we took of, at 10:15 by the way, I thought to myself, "Oh my gosh. I didn't say bye to my cats". I thought of them during my 21 minute flight to Atlanta.
Upon arriving in Atlanta, my mom and I found our gate and grabbed some sandwiches for lunch. We boarded our plane at 12:20 and were set to take off by 12:30. Or so we thought. We taxied to the runway and then stopped. The pilot then informed us that there was some sort of delay at the JFK International Airport. He said he would keep us informed. We sat on the Tarmac until just before 2:45. One uneventful and a slightly stressful first taxi ride in New York later we arrived at our hotel at 6:30 PM.
We chose a Mexican restaurant for dinner and then headed for Times Square. Little did we know that we would soon be meeting the one and only Snoop Lion, formerly Snoop Dogg. We visited the Disney Store, the M n' M Store, Hersey's Chocolate World, and Toys R Us. It was mind blowing for me. To see something that you've only seen on TV in real life is a very strange experience. It's either exactly what you were expecting, disappointing, or even better than you expected. As I saw all the lights and stores for the first time, I was hit with all three. The lights and advertisements were just as I had pictured them, the smell was disappointing, and I was pleasantly surprised with the noise level. 

Then as we were heading back towards the hotel, my mom says, "Sharron look!" and points towards a group of people. I move forward and try to see what they're all looking at and I hear my mom's voice say, "It's Snoop Lion". I don't know what surprised me more about this statement, the fact that it was actually Snoop Lion, or the fact that my mom knew who Snoop Lion was! I really can't say Snoop Lion any more so from now on I will refer to him as "Snoop". We watched Snoop for awhile and tried to get some pictures but couldn't really see. Then we started to walk away and he started walking the same way. Long story short, as we were both walking I managed to get him to stop for a minute and pose for a picture with me. This is the resulting picture:

And with that, I'll say goodnight. I'll post again soon! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment